Sunday, April 22, 2007

'Whiskey'

It's about time I posted another painting pic, so here's 'Whiskey', as mentioned in my last post.
She was in my life from 1983 to 1997 and was a very special cat and I still miss her. I painted it in 1988 when she was 5 years old and have since had several offers of tidy sums of money for the painting, but I will never sell it.


The medium is gouache and although I used black paper, I mixed my own black from lamp black, alizarin crimson and ultramarine to use as the background. Gouache is great as you can paint light colours over dark, which I did extensively in this piece.
The greatest compliment I ever had to this painting was when Whiskey had passed on one of our other cats, Lottie, still reacted to seeing this painting for quite a while afterwards. Whiskey had been 'top cat' in the house and Lottie had been at the bottom of the pecking order. I tried to show Lottie it was a flat image by holding her up and placing her paw on the glass, but she would have none of it... the Boss was still keeping her in place!

1 comment:

barb said...

That is absolutely beautiful...So lifelike.