Now I start working on the left hand side. I added darker colours of mauves and warm pale green to the ochre colour I had put on before. Still using little black I mixed the dark tone from the ultramarine, alizarin crimson, chrome yellow and burnt sienna. With a rigger brush I drew on the branches and twigs then dotted the leaves in with a small brush. I needed the dark areas to dry before I could paint the vegetation in front.
Continuing the next day in the same vein I added the rest of the vegetation in. I used mauves and greeny-blues to pick out detail in the shadows and pale greens, peachy creams and pinks for the highlights. Deciding the shrubs to the left needed a boost of light, I added more highlights to them as well. Finally on this stage I swept in a base of mauve for the ground and mixed in the dark tone and a pale warm brown to pick out the low and high tones. Flicking this up with the rigger to create grass at the base of the shrubs.
Now I feel like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel - I may just get this painting finished comfortably in time for the deadline and have some time to prepare for the workshop on Saturday.
The above images were taken using my Dad's Nikon D50 - I think you can see the difference in quality even at these small sizes.