Monday, October 08, 2012

Artist in Residence - Nature In Art

Today I head off to Gloucestershire and the wonderful Nature in Art Museum and Art Gallery to set up their studio for my week there as artist in residence. The museum is closed on Mondays so I have the day to myself to hang my work, set up the display tables and get myself 'settled in'.
This year I am back to being on my own for the week as I wanted to be able to show not only my general wildlife paintings but also have an area dedicated to showing my Botswana work so far and some of my zoo work. It has been a long time since I showed work from my job as the wildlife illustrator at Bristol Zoo, so I thought it was time to have a little display for that too.
I shall be working on the oil painting I started sometime ago of two bull elephants, which I hope I can crack on with and get near finishing.



And for the times when I am waiting for areas to dry etc I plan to start another elephant painting this time of three bulls striding out across a flood plain.  I've had this painting in mind for many months but couldn't decide on the composition or quite how I was going to approach it. I think I now have a plan in mind that I am happy with, so with any luck I hope to start to get something on the canvas for that too.
The museum is open Tuesdays - Sundays and I shall be there this week until Sunday 14th. If you are in the area please do pop in and come and chat to me.

The museum is a wonderful place to visit and has a lovely cafe for snacks, teas, coffees and lunches. There are also two special exhibitions on at the moment that wold be worth viewing....

Until November 25th
British Wildlife Photography Awards
The 90 winning and short-listed photographs from the 2012 competition. World class images celebrating the diversity of British fauna and flora and their environments.

October 2nd - 21st
Portrait of an Audience
A display from the Roses Theatre , Tewskesbury. 46 images celebrating their diverse audience

No comments: